· Preparation, monitoring and assessing of policies, programs and projects related to the subjects of Wildlife, Botanical Gardens and Zoological Gardens.
· Implementation of the Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance no. 02 of 1937.
· Implementation of the Botanical Gardens Ordinance no. 31 of 1928.
· Implementation of the National Zoological Gardens Act no. 41 of 1982.
· Conservation of the flora of Sri Lanka, maintenance of the Botanical Gardens in Sri Lanka and development of the floriculture in Sri Lanka.
· Collecting and exhibition of mammals, birds and reptiles in Sri Lanka.
· Conservation of wildlife resources in Sri Lanka
· Having necessary measures to conserve environment in promoting eco-tourism in wildlife reserve areas
· Handling and supervision of the activities related to the Wildlife Conservation Fund, Zoological Gardens conservation Fund, Botanical Gardens Trust Fund.